Conference call guidelines
TOP TIPS FOR CONFERENCE CALL SUCCESS
Before your conference
- Invite participants – send out joining instructions.
- Appoint a Chair – someone should lead the meeting.
- Record the conference – to save taking minutes on the phone.
- Check numbers – are correct (phone number and conference codes).
- Email participants’ names & numbers – if submitting a call out list.
- Choose your phone – landlines in a quiet area are best.
- Clear your phone line – turn off ‘call waiting’ and hold other calls.
- Be prompt – lateness may delay the start of the conference.
During your conference
- Arrival – the Operator will announce participants or the Chair can do a roll call.
- Who’s who? – identify yourself when you speak. Do so clearly and slowly.
- Off hold – do not use your hold facility. If it plays music, everyone will hear it.
- Breaks – if needed: just mute the line and place the receiver to one side. To rejoin, pick it up and unmute your line.
- Departure – the Operator will time check the conference 5 minutes before the end or the Chair simply hangs up.
Telephone key press options – commands at your fingertips: # (hash) to speak to an Operator *1 mute or un-mute self *2 lock or unlock the conference (Chair only) *3 eject the last joining participant (Chair only) *4 decrease earpiece volume (8 exit) *5 pause/restart recording (Chair only) *6 increase earpiece volume (8 exit) *7 decrease mouthpiece volume (8 exit) *8 exit menu and return to conference *9 increase mouthpiece volume (8 exit) *0 roll call of participants